Who can apply?
What can be funded?
- a Master's degree course/postgraduate degree course leading to a final qualification
- a complementary course without degree (not an undergraduate course)
A Master's degree programme already started in Germany cannot be funded.
If you are enrolled in a Master's or postgraduate degree programme which includes a study period abroad, funding for this period abroad is usually only possible under the following conditions:
The study visit is essential for achievement of the scholarship objective, the visit does not take place in the home country, and it is no longer than a quarter of the scholarship period. Longer periods cannot be funded, even partially.
Please note: This programme only funds projects in the artistic and creative area. Other DAAD scholarship programmes are available for applicants from the field of History of Art or Art Studies or for artists with a scientific project.
Duration of the funding
- Between 10 and 24 months depending on the length of the chosen study programme
- Start: usually from 1st October, of the following year or earlier if a German language course is taken prior to the study programme
- The scholarships are awarded for the duration of the standard period of study for the chosen study programme (up to a maximum of 24 months). Please state the entire period for which you wish to apply for funding in your application. For example, if you are planning a 2-year degree programme, you must directly indicate two years as the desired scholarship duration in your application. After the first year of study, your academic achievements will be assessed in a further funding procedure. If this shows that you will successfully complete your programme within a reasonable period of time, the scholarship will continue as planned.
- one academic year
- Start: usually from 1st October of the following year, or earlier if a German language course is taken prior to the study programme
- A monthly payment of 861 euros
- Travel allowance
- One-off study allowance
- Payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- Monthly rent subsidy
- Monthly allowance for accompanying members of family. Please also read our important information for scholarship applicants / section F, point 3.
[list|In the case of a disability or chronic illness: subsidy for additional costs which result from the disability or chronic illness and are not covered by other funding providers: Further information
- Green Mobility Top Up (Support for climate-friendly travel) or partial reimbursement of carbon offset payments for air travel
To enable scholarship holders to learn German in preparation for their stay in the country, DAAD offers the following services:
- Payment of course fees for an online language course after receipt of the Scholarship Award Letter
- if necessary: German language course (2, 4 or 6 months) before the start of the study visit in Germany; the DAAD decides whether to fund participation and for how long depending on German language skills and project. Participation in a language course is compulsory if the language of instruction or working language is German at the German host institution. Due to the pandemic, German courses may take place online.
- Allowance for a personally chosen German language course during the scholarship period
- Reimbursement of the fee for a TestDaF or DSH test, which you can take either in your home country after you have received your Scholarship Award Letter or in Germany during your funding period.
Please note that the DAAD does not cover tuition fees.
A special DAAD committee made up of professors from German art, design and film schools makes the final decision about scholarships in the fields of Fine Art, Film, Design, Visual Communication and Film. The decision is based upon written applications and work samples which have to be submitted (see: www.daad.de/extrainfo).
- the artistic qualification and artistic maturity, measured by study achievements and work samples
- the quality of the project as measured by the study plan and the letter of motivation
In addition, the selection committee will give due consideration to aspects of equal opportunities, on which you can provide information in the application form.
For further information on the selection procedure, please refer to the Important Scholarship Information / Section E.